I had a block of mozzarella cheese sitting in my fridge so I thought of looking up for ideas on what to do with it. I love, love looking at great food photos on the internet - from Pinterest and from food bloggers around the world. Time flies whenever I do this (and definitely makes me hungry) and it also inspires me to improve my cooking and photography skills. After a lot of pinning and bookmarking, I have finally figured what to prepare. These Bacon and Cheese Sliders with Caramelized Pineapple-Onions, inspired by Half Baked Harvest, are consist of poppy seed-sprinkled buns stuffed with mayo-barbecue spread, caramelized pineapple and onions, bacon, and mozzarella cheese. Sweet, salty and tasty all in one bite. YUM.
These sliders require several components to make: the mayo-barbecue spread, the caramelized pineapple-onions, crisp bacon, grated cheese, and the poppy seed buns. Looks a lot, huh? Don't worry as, with the exception of the caramelized onions and pineapples, they are all quick and easy to whip up.
Caramelized onions add a depth of flavor, but it can be tricky to make. It needs time and patience to slowly caramelize the onions' sugars and turn brown. Shortcuts cannot be made by using high heat - it will burn. If it becomes too dry along the way, add a little bit of water, broth or wine. For this recipe, I used a medium onion and I cooked it for around 30 minutes on medium-low heat.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons your favorite barbecue sauce
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup grated mozarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 piece medium onion
- ¼ cup pineapple bits
For the bread:
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 6 pieces mini rolls/ buns
- To make the Mayo-Barbecue spread, mix together mayonnaise and barbecue sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To make the Caramelized Pineapple-Onions, put butter and canola oil in a pan over medium low heat. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the pineapple bits and stir the mixture every 5 minutes. Cook until onions are golden brown and are caramelized.
- For the Bacon, lay bacon strips in a pan (do not overlap) then cook over medium heat. Soon the bacon will release its own fat. When bacon starts to curl and the bottom side starts to crisp up turn each slice to cook on the other side. Cook until desired crispiness is achieved. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Line a baking sheet or dish with foil. Place the bottom half of the rolls on the foil then spread some mayo-barbecue mixture. Top with bacon slices, then the caramelized onions and pineapples, and lots of grated mozzarella cheese. Place the top half of each roll beside the bottom half. Brush each with melted butter then sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.