This is how exactly sweet potato fries should be. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside; the spice mix gives a sweet, salty, tex-mex flavor, but totally different from taco seasoning.
In the past, I was not a fan of sweet potatoes especially when prepared as fries. I liked the classic, crispy McDonalds type of potato french fries. But but but, I had a change of heart when I tried Burgers and Brewskie’s sweet potato fries. I was pretty amazed that sweet potato fries could actually taste that good! It was crunchy and has a tex-mex flavor, but totally different from taco seasoning. I’ve tried several combinations for my spice mix and I find that a blend of garlic powder, salt, cumin, brown sugar, and cayenne compliments this healthy root vegetable the best.
When I baked them the taste and crispiness is good though I find it a little dry. For me, deep frying yields the tastiest result. Not the healthiest option, but c’mon, balance is the key! 🙂
So when you want a good sweet potato fries try this recipe and let me know what you think, okeee?
Crispy Sweet Potato Fries with Special Spice Mix
For the Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 piece medium sized sweet potato (about 400 grams)
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
For the Special Spice Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- Make the spice mix by combining all the ingredients together. Start with 1/8 teaspoon of salt first then add later to your liking (Note 1). Set aside.
- Slice sweet potatoes into thin, uniform fries. In a mixing bowl, whisk cornstarch and cold water. Dip the fries in the batter. Do in batches, if necessary. Allow any excess to drip off by placing the dipped pieces in a wire rack.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan with oil over medium heat until about 350 degrees F. The amount of oil should be enough for the the sweet potatoes to be completely submerged. Fry the sweet potatoes, in batches if necessary, until golden brown and crispy (around 3-5 minutes). Immediately sprinkle with the spice mix.