This easy homemade pretzel recipe uses a combination of all-purpose and bread flour to give that soft and chewy bread texture. These pretzels are best eaten immediately after baking. Dip them in your favorite cheese sauce or simply slather with melted butter.
- 122 grams (4.3 oz, 1/2 cup) full-fat or whole milk
- 5 grams (1 1/4 tsp) instant yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 90 grams (3.2 oz, 3/4 cup) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 75 grams (2.6 oz, 1/2 cup) bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 37 grams (1.3 oz, 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons) baking soda
- 1 piece egg (any size)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pretzel salt or coarse sea salt
- PREPARATION. Measure all the ingredients. Warm the milk in the microwave or saucepan until it’s about 43 C (110 F).
- MAKE THE DOUGH. In a mixing bowl, place the milk, instant yeast, brown sugar, melted butter, and salt. Mix briefly with a wooden spoon, just to combine the ingredients. Add in the flours and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. If the dough is too sticky, add more all-purpose flour in small increments until it is not sticky. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 3 minutes. Shape it into a ball.
- LET THE DOUGH RISE. Return the dough to a bowl drizzled with oil (to prevent the dough from sticking). Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place, about 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- SHAPE THE PRETZELS. When the dough has risen, you can start preheating your oven to 450 F/ 232 C. Punch the dough back down and divide into 3 sections. Roll each section into a long skinny rope, about 20 inches long. (See Note 1) Fold it into a pretzel. Alternatively, cut the skinny rope dough into small pieces to get pretzel bites.
- PRETZEL-IFY. Make the baking soda solution by combining hot water with baking soda. Ensure that baking soda has dissolved by mixing it with a whisk. Drop each whole pretzel into the baking soda solution for about 30 seconds, then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush each pretzel with beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- BAKE at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve warm with cheese sauce, mustard, or simply slather with melted butter.
(Note 1) My pretzels are on the chubby side. If you want to make them thinner, make the long rope of dough thinner, about 1/2 inches or less thick.