Easy and delicious - the cream cheese frosting is epic!
- 125 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 100 grams eggs (about 2 large eggs)
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- 200 grams (1 1/2 cups) grated carrots
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped and toasted)
For the cream cheese frosting
- 80 grams (1/3 cup) heavy cream/ whipping cream (cold)
- 200 grams (7 ounces) full-fat cream cheese (cold and chopped into 1-inch cubes (I use Philadelphia))
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 65 grams (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon) powdered sugar/ confectioner's sugar
Make the Mini Carrot Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place 12 baking cups on a small baking tray. If you can’t find baking cups, you can use a regular cupcake pan filled with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, place the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Mix them well so they are evenly distributed. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and oil. Add in the carrots and walnuts. Mix until evenly combined.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fill your baking cups or cupcake liners 2/3 full. I like to use an ice cream scoop to complete this step easier and faster.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick test comes clean. Let the cupcakes completely cool before frosting them.
Make the cream cheese frosting
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream to soft peaks.
- Add the cream cheese and beat on high speed until fully smooth.
- Put in the vanilla and sift in half of the powdered sugar. Beat on high speed again until fully combined. Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat again until smooth.
- To assemble the cupcakes, place the frosting in a piping bag fitted with your choice of piping tip. (In the photos, I used Wilton 1M.) Decorate the carrot cupcakes as you like - chopped walnuts, carrots, etc.
Because the frosting has cream cheese and heavy cream, these cakes need to be kept in the fridge, or for 4 hours at room temperature.