about 200 grams, enough to fill a 6-inch cake with 4 layers
I used this Strawberry-Cream Cheese as filling for a Strawberry Shortcake-inspired wedding cake I made last year. It is made of fresh strawberries, butter, and cream cheese. I love to add chopped or sliced strawberries with it for additional texture and crunch! Try it as filling for your cakes and cupcakes!
- Be careful not to overmix the cream cheese and butter to avoid curdling. It is important to note the temperature of these 2 fats. They should both be at room temperature but the butter should not be completely softened and mushed.
- Adding more confectioners' or powdered sugar might stiffen the mixture a bit but it might get too sweet so find the balance you like.
- You can use other fruits as well, like raspberries and blueberries.
A delicious combination of tangy cream cheese and sweet strawberries - a simple yet delectable cake filling recipe! This recipe is enough to use as filling for an 8-inch cake with 4 layers. Easily double or triple the recipe ingredients if you need a bigger batch.
For the Strawberry Puree
- 8 pieces medium to large strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
For the Strawberry-Cream Cheese Filling
- 115 grams full fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 115 grams butter, at room temperature
- 80-120 grams confectioners' / icing sugar, sifted
- 4-6 tablespoons strawberry puree
Make the Strawberry Puree
- Place the strawberries and sugar in a food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
Make the Strawberry-Cream Cheese Filling
- In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, start beating the cream cheese on medium speed for about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the butter. Beat the butter into the cream cheese for about 1-2 minutes. At this point, the butter and cream cheese are incorporated into one another.
- Set mixer to low speed then gradually add sugar and strawberry puree until incorporated. I only used 80 grams of sugar but you can add more according to your taste. It also depends on how sweet your strawberries are. Adding more sugar will also help stiffen the mixture if it's too loose.
- Turn the mixer to medium-high and mix again until smooth and creamy.
(Note 1) Cream cheese should be softened.
(Note 2) The butter should be at room temperature but shouldn’t be completely soft and mush in the package.
(Note 3) Note that this is a filling and not a frosting. The texture is a bit loose and is not in a pipe-able consistency.