This could be the best creme caramel (leche flan) you'll ever taste! Make your flan incredibly smooth and creamy by doing one simple step. The recipe is easy to follow. #lecheflan #custard #flan #Filipino
- 75 grams (6 tablespoons) white granulated sugar
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) water
- 144 grams (from around 8 large eggs) egg yolks
- 276 grams (1 cup) condensed milk
- 236 grams (1 cup) evaporated milk
- zest of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 375 F (190 C).
Make the Caramel:
- Place the sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, until sugar is melted and golden. Tilt and swirl the saucepan to ensure even melting. No need to stir. Once the sugar is golden in color, stand back and pour the water into the pan. It will boil and spit briefly. Quickly swirl the pan to distribute the water then pour and divide the caramel evenly into the 2 ramekins. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
Make the Custard:
- Break the egg yolks and gently mix (not beat) them. In a container, preferably with a spout, add the egg yolks, condensed milk, and evaporated milk. Stir the custard mixture in circular motion to prevent bubbles from forming. Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve or a cheesecloth. Do not skip this step! This is the secret to a smooth and creamy flan!) After straining, stir in the lemon zest then divide the custard mixture between the 2 ramekins. Cover with foil.
Bake in a Baine-Marie
- Place your covered ramekins inside a large baking dish then pour hot water into the large dish so that it comes to about halfway up the outsides of the ramekins. Transfer the whole dish in an oven bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of custard comes out clean.
Cool and Serve
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, and refrigerate to set. To serve, turn flan over on a serving plate ending with the caramel on top.