Homemade Tzatziki sauce – a great dip served with grilled meats and vegetables, pita chips, and naan. It’s healthy, quick, and simple to make!
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) cucumber, grated
- 1 cup (250 grams) plain, whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1.5 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1.5 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1–2 teaspoons lemon juice
- PREPARE THE CUCUMBER. Peel the cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Using the large holes of a shredder, grate enough cucumber to measure 1/2 cup. Spread the cucumber on a paper towel and lightly sprinkle with salt. Let it sit for 15 minutes then squeeze the juice out of it.
- MIX ALL THE INGREDIENTS. In a bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, garlic, mint, dill, and olive oil. Add the lemon juice to taste. Stir well then season with salt.
(Note 1) Easily double the recipe if you need a bigger batch.
(Note 2) Serve with pita bread on its own or with other dips like hummus and baba ganoush. This is also good sauce with Chicken Souvlaki.