You know that time when you craved for some comfort food and what immediately came to mind were those oddly shaped, crispy chicken nuggets? I admit that I have many times resorted to fast-food-chain-nuggets, but this is now my go-to-recipe whenever I am craving for it. Tasting this made me realized that making your own is way much better. For one: it’s more delicious. Two: you know what’s inside your nuggets. And three: it’s fast and easy to make!
You may also be wondering why the not-so-glamorous Chicken Bites for my first recipe post? Well, it’s because this recipe is extra special to me – a milestone for my very picky toddler. My then 3-year-old daughter did not like meat at all. She preferred bland type of foods like congee, pasta with plain tomato sauce, and dinner rolls. So it was a hallelujah moment for me when she asked for more of these. Yes, after 3 long years she finally liked some animal flesh! Protein for baby girl!
Serve these little crispers as an appetizer, a snack, an add-on to your salad, or even a weeknight meal. It’s something both adults and kids will love. ?
Crispy Chicken Bites + Honey Mustard Dip
For the Chicken Bites:
- 20 pieces sliced Chicken Breasts (around 1 inch width)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, if you want some spice)
- canola oil for frying
For the Honey Mustard Dip:
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- For the Chicken bites, make the seasoned bread crumbs. Combine Panko, lemon pepper, garlic powder, ground black pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper (if using) in a bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare 2 other bowls. Put the APF on the first bowl and milk on the second bowl. Begin the assembly line process and coat each piece of chicken with flour, then milk, then the seasoned bread crumbs.
- Heat about 2 inches of canola oil in a large pan over medium heat until a few breadcrumbs dropped in the oil start to sizzle immediately. Fry the chicken, in batches if necessary, until golden brown and cooked through. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Drain on paper towel.
- For the honey mustard dip, combine mayonnaise, yellow mustard, dijon mustard, honey, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Whisk until smooth.